The school contains many historical buildings which provide great interest and character. Nevertheless, they provide good working conditions and modern facilities.
The Palace (Senior School)
The Palace dates back from the 1320s as the Abbot of Gloucester's lodging, and was rebuilt several times, including after being burnt during the Civil War. During the First World War, the Palace was used as a Military Hospital and, as a plaque at the top of the stairs commemorates, 1,259 cases were treated. Due to the School's rapid growth in the 1950s, the School took full possession of The Palace in 1960 and it has since provided a sturdy and elegant home for Senior School for nearly half a century.
Dulverton House (The Sixth Form Centre)
Dulverton House dates from the 13th century. The original building was a substantial timber-framed hall with a small open courtyard in the centre and was most likely the lodging house for the master of the monastic infirmary.
Dulverton owes its present appearance to a substantial extension in 1851 in order to provide accomodation for the Bishop of Tewkesbury. The school purchased Dulverton in 1957 as a boarding house. In 1998 it became the School's dedicated Sixth Form Centre.
Little Cloister House
Little Cloister has a history that dates back long before its association with the school. Dating from the early 13th century, the upper floor of Little Cloister was originally a grand hall serving as a dining room for the nearby infirmary. Following the dissolution of Gloucester Abbey in the 16th century, Little Cloister was turned into living accomodation for the Cathedral canons. At the time of the Civil War there were plans to destroy the Cathedral and demolition actually began on Little Cloister.
Little Cloister was orginally the base for The King's Junior School but now houses our History and Geography departments, as well as the school museum.
Wardle House (Nursery and Reception)
Wardle House dates back to the 1680s. The house, originally known as Cathedral House, was almost entirely rebuilt in the early 19th century. At one time Victorian Prime Minister Benjamin Disraeli held the lease.
Wardle opened as a senior boarding house in 1959 and in 1994 became the centre for the school nursery and early years provision.